This is the first public release of Mapboard GIS Version 3. It is a major rework of the app’s internals and spatial editing capabilities, in preparation for coming functional enhancements.
New editing tools
- Line snapping has been improved to also snap current linework endpoints to nearby created and reshaped lines
- A new Reshape tool allows rapid iteration of linework
- Topological erasing allows trimming of dangling edges
- A greatly improved Undo tool allows full recovery from any line or polygon change.
An improved topology system
The onboard topology engine has been improved for stability, performance, and effectiveness. Although it is still somewhat brittle, it now allows rapid and high-quality iterative solving in many cases.
An updated map canvas
The mapping user interface has been greatly improved to transition from Mapbox’s legacy iOS SDK to the newer Mapbox Maps SDK for iOS. This required significant retooling of the app’s backend data flows and structures, including with an internal vector tile
Upgraded spatial stack
The stack of spatial software that powers Mapboard GIS has been greatly
enhanced in Version 3. This includes updated versions of
rttopo, and other supporting open-source geospatial libraries.
We’ve also greatly enhanced the compilation pipeline for these libraries to be
less brittle and enable more direct utilization of their functionality.
This is a major overhaul of the app, and some features have not yet
been completely reimplemented using new patterns. We anticipate fixing many problems
and omissions in future minor versions in the
Key missing pieces:
- Planetary projections are harder with
libprojversions greater than 4, and have not been validated in the current version
- Server connections with PostGIS need major upgrades and currently don’t work.